CMS 3720: Event Release
Students will research, write, and capture/curate images for a VPA event that will take place this academic year.
The completed release should be structured as prescribed by our VPA Content Strategy guidelines, and it should include the following elements.
- Image (high-res)
- Image (thumbnail)
- Other images (optional)
- Image credits
- Social Media text
- Summary text
- Long text
- Hash tags (optional)
- URLs (optional)
- Interview subject(s) name and contact information
Required Interview and Quotes
To gather information, students must conduct at least one face-to-face interview with a person involved in the event, preferably a student. The release’s Long Text should include a quote or quotes from at least one person interviewed.
Writing the Project
All written aspects of the project should demonstrate effective use of the Four C’s.
In addition, nothing in the release should quote the tagline “Dreams. Made Real.” or quote from the department’s mission statement. Instead, the writing should focus on the experiences and skills that CSU students gain from the event. (In other words, show the “dreams made real” mission in action.)
Formatting the Project
Every project must include at least two images:
- High-Resolution ( 2×3 or 3×2 ratio; thousands of pixels tall and wide)
- Thumbnail (square ratio; 1080 x 1080 pixels)
Every image must include a photo credit. The credits for stock images must include URLs to the image’s source (e.g. Flickr).
In addition, the written portion should be submitted as a single MS Word file. I have created an Event Release Template document that may be helpful.
- MS Word: This file should include all required text items (including the image credits). It should use subheadings to clearly indicate each section. It should not include your name in the body of the document.
- Images: All images must be appropriately sized and in a web-friendly format (e.g. JPG). The files must be named as follows:
Submitting the Project
By the due date, submit all materials to the appropriate “Assignments” drop box in Georgia View.
- Event Release Text: Submit the MS Word document
- Event Release Images: Submit all images (make sure the files are correctly named)