This syllabus has not been fully updated for the Fall 2018 semester.
This hands-on course focuses on professional uses of social media platforms including FaceBook, YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter.
Students will gain practical experience using these platforms as well as professional development tools. Assignments will result in a portfolio of work demonstrating skills in scheduling, image processing, writing, and animation.
The official course information is
- Title: CMS 3720 New Media Design
- CRN: 80766
- Times: MW 11:00 a.m – 12:15 p.m.
- Room: M144
No Required Textbook
No text will be required for the course. Instead, online materials will be assigned.
Required Software and Imaging Device
Class projects will require Adobe Photoshop, which is installed on the computers in our classroom, the VPA Design Lab, M144. Adobe also offers 30-day free trial versions of this and other programs. At one point during the semester, you may want to download this free version of Photoshop to your laptop. Unfortunately, I cannot provide technical support for software running on computers outside the lab.
Students also must possess a device that can capture and download images in a file format readable by Photoshop (e.g. JPG). Most smartphones fulfill this requirement.
Required Online Platforms
You will be required to create user accounts and post work using Hootsuite and GoAnimate. You must use your real name or an assigned pseudonym for these accounts. Your use of these services is either free or provided by the university.
Required Social Media Platforms
Class projects will require you to create or maintain user accounts on four social media platforms, to associate your real name with these accounts, and to make postings on these accounts visible to the public. Maintaining accounts and posting your work on the following social media platforms is a course requirement:
In some cases, you may request and I will assign a pseudonym that you can use if you wish to keep your identity private. However, you should be aware that using pseudonyms violates the terms of service for some platforms.
Further details on our class’s social media requirements:
- You will not be required to divulge your password for any of these accounts.
- Facebook Friends
- You will not be required to accept friend requests for your primary Facebook account. However, you will be required to create a separate Facebook Page and to make this page public. You also will be required to post to and edit our class’s Facebook page.
- Following and Followers
- You will be required to follow other users and to accept follower requests that are related to our class.
Course requirements include substantial work using Adobe Photoshop, GoAnimate, Hootsuite, etc. If you do not have or cannot run these programs on your personal laptop, your schedule must allow you to spend time in the Design Lab during available hours.
The lab schedule posted outside the door lists times that the lab is available for your homework.
In addition, you will need the following.
- Georgia View
- Also known as D2L and Brightspace, this is the university’s mandated courseware tool.
- Modern Web Browser, e.g. Firefox or Chrome
- In this media-rich class, using an up-to-date browser is mandatory.
- PDF Reader (Adobe Reader)
- Students must be able to read PDF files.
- Media Player: VLC or equivalent
- Students must be able to play mp3 and mp4 files. Many software tools will enable this, including VLC, which is available for free download.
- Microsoft Word word processing
- Students must be able to compose and read documents saved in the Microsoft Word “docx” format.
- Clayton State email
- Students must access their CSU email accounts on a regular basis. They must be able to use these accounts to attach and retrieve attached files. They must use only their CSU accounts (not, e.g. a gmail account) to communicate academic information to instructors.
My contact information including office hours is collected on separate page.