CMS 3710 Writing for Digital Media (W4DM) is a core class in the Communication and Media Studies program at Clayton State University. Links to other sections of this syllabus can be found in the main navigation menu as well as the “General Class Policies” menu. Additional course materials are available to enrolled students through GA View.
This syllabus is still being updated for the Spring 2019 semester. Check this syllabus regularly to make sure that you have the most current information.
- CRN 20391: 34% online, with F2F meetings MW 10:00 – 10:50 a.m.
- CRN 20429: 96% online, with F2F meetings for exams
- Class meetings: M144 Design Lab (in the Music Education building)
Students enrolled in the hybrid section must attend class. Students in both sections must log on to the course site in D2L and complete the first week’s assignments, which are listed on our Schedule.
Required Software & Media
I recommend a flash drive with your name written on it in indelible marker. This will make it easier to save copies of files created in class.
Class projects will require Adobe Photoshop, which is installed on the computers in our classroom, the CMS Design Lab, M144. Adobe also offers 30-day free trial versions of this and other programs. At one point during the semester, you may want to download this free version of Photoshop to your laptop. However, to maximize its usefulness, I recommend that you wait to download the program until the final month of the semester.
In addition to D2L and Skillsoft, class projects will require that you use Photoshop and that you create a user account with WordPress.com. You will be assigned a pseudonym for your WordPress account; posting your work there is a course requirement.
Please note that the course requirements include substantial work using Adobe Photoshop and WordPress. If you do not have or cannot run these programs at home, your schedule must allow you to spend time in the Design Lab during available hours.
The lab schedule posted outside the door lists times that the lab is available for your homework.
In addition, you will need the following.
- Web Browser: Firefox or Chrome
- In this media-rich class, using an up-to-date browser is mandatory.
- PDF Reader (Adobe Reader)
- Students must be able to read PDF files.
- Media Player: VLC or equivalent
- Students must be able to play mp3 and mp4 files. Many software tools will enable this, including VLC, which is available for free download.
- Microsoft Word word processing
- Students must be able to compose and read documents saved in the Microsoft Word “docx” format.
- Clayton State email
- Students must access their CSU email accounts on a regular basis. They must be able to use these accounts to attach and retrieve attached files. They must use only their CSU accounts (not, e.g. a gmail account) to communicate academic information to instructors.
- Web Style Guide, 4th edition, by Patrick J. Lynch and Sarah Horton ISBN 0300211651 (Amazon)
- A Writer’s Reference, by Diane Hacker, ISBN 9780312601430
My contact information including office hours is collected on separate page.