King was one of the first American thinkers to reckon with the forces that we now call globalization. A Christian minister, King understood these forces to be the unfolding of God’s plan for humanity.
After studying these texts, students should be able to
- Explain the meaning of King’s title
- List the three aspects of King’s “Triple Revolution”
- Discuss the challenges posed by these revolutions
- Explain the meaning of this quote:
Through our scientific and technological genius, we have made of this world a neighborhood and yet we have not had the ethical commitment to make of it a brotherhood.
- Explain what King means by “the myth of time”
- Explain the point King makes by re-telling the story of Dives and Lazarus
- King, Remaining Awake During a Great Revolution (stanford.edu)
- Lecture Slides: Martin Luther King, Jr., “Remaining Awake….”
I will play this in class, so it won’t be on the quiz.
- Excerpt from “The Three Dimensions of a Complete Life,” A Knock at Midnight: Inspiration from the Great Sermons of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., New York: Warner Books, 2000. [Available in GA View]
- Martin Luther King