This assignment continues our study of graphics with a reading from chapter 11 of the Web Style Guide.
After completing this assignment, students should be able to
- Identify and discuss the characteristics of the five file formats important for online images and listed in the table below.
- Summarize the “best practices” for archiving web site images 332-33.
- Explain the reasoning behind this recommendation: “Save your original uncompressed images!” (332).
- Summarize the rules of thumb that apply when choosing the right file format for images
|GIF||Lossless||Now open source||Diagrammatic|
|PSD (Adobe Photoshop)||Lossless||Proprietary||Photographic|
|AI (Adobe Illustrator)||Lossless||Proprietary||Diagrammatic|
- Lynch and Horton, 327-336
(through “Photographs and Illustrations” on 336)