As Greg Dimitriadis argues, hip-hop artists have long understood themselves to be teachers. By the middle 1980s, “Rappers were no longer only entertainers but self-professed poets, artists, and intellectuals…”(Dimitriadis 57).
- Dimitriadis, chapter 2: “Pedagogy and Performance in Black Popular Culture” from Performing Identity/Performing Culture. (PDF in GA View “This Week’s Content”)
- Lecture Slides: Hip-hop as Pedagogy (These are incomplete)
- Walk This Way (Run D.M.C. ft. Aerosmith, 1986)
- Criminal Minded (Boogie Down Productions, feat. KRS-1, 1987)
- Paid in Full (Eric B. and Rakim, 1987)
- Microphone Fiend (Eric B. and Rakim, 1988)
- Follow the Leader (Eric B. and Rakim, 1988)
- Let the Rhythm Hit ‘Em (Eric B. and Rakim, 1990)
Pedagogy is the art and science of teaching. A particular pedagogy is a specific approach toward or system of teaching something to someone. Likewise, a thing is “pedogogical” if it is intended to teach.