“Glocalization” is often used to describe two distinct corporate strategies. This assignment distinguishes and offers examples of these two approaches.
After completing this assignment, students should be able to
- Paraphrase the definition of “McDonaldization” and recognize new examples.
- Paraphrase the definition of “cultural imperialism” and recognize new examples.
- Identify and explain the “two distinct approaches” that are called glocalization.
- Explain how McDonald’s has become so popular in France.
- Summarize the major components of the “Come as you are” campaign.
- Summarize the reasons that Bill O’Reilly claims the “Come as you are” commercial will never run in the United States.
- Distinguish the different approaches of McDonald’s France and McDonald’s Hong Kong
- Correctly answer the questions on the last of the lecture slides about these Nintendo and Toyota commercials .
- Identify new examples of both approaches to glocalization.
- Goulding, Why the French Secretly Love the Golden Arches (slate.com)
- Lecture Slides: Glocalization 2
- Glocal France