A documentary film offers a nice frame for our discussion of music, movies, and gender.
- Hip Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes (youtube.com)
This discussion is titled “Music, Movies, and Gender.” Among the questions you might think about:
- Why does Jay Z like American Gangster so much?
- Does American Gangster offer a different model of Black masculinity that those presented in 1990s films like Juice and Menace II Society?
- Compare the vision of the drug trade in American Gangster with that presented in the songs by OutKast, T.I., U.S.D.A, and/or Trinidad James.
- Consider the representations of women in the gangster films we have screened. Are they similar or different than the depictions of women in rap music as discussed by Hip Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes?