New York’s b-boy culture celebrates discipline, loyalty, and mastery.
In reality, mentoring is significant to all forms of hip hop (Schloss 67).
After completing this assignment, students should be able to
- Summarize the difference between “anti-commercial” and “noncommercial” as it relates to b-boying and other aspects of hip-hop culture
- Summarize the point made through the anecdote about Alien Ness’s “drunken style” (45)
- Define and explain the b-boy concept of “foundation” (50-52)
- Explain how martial-arts practices came to be incorporated into b-boying
- Discuss the similarities between the b-boy “foundation” and the martial arts
- Summarize the conflicts that arise around the term “b-girl”
- Summarize the conflicts that arise around the term “breakdancing”
- Summarize the point made through the anecdotes about mentoring, both in b-boy culture and in hip hop more generally
- Schloss, “‘Getting Your Foundation’: Pedagogy” (40-67)
PDF in Georgia View “This Week’s Content”
- B-boy Kung Fu