“The era of Western Christianity has passed within our lifetimes, and the day of Southern Christianity is dawning” (430).
Recent shifts in two major world religions demonstrate the cultural impact of globalization. Further, these two readings offer concrete examples of deterritorialization and its effects on fundamental notions of identity, value, and responsibility.
After completing this assignment, students should be able to correctly answer following questions. (Most of the following questions are taken from the study questions on page 455.)
- Why is Christianity flourishing in the global South?
- What impact does Jenkins think this will have on global Christianity?
- What impact might this have on societies in the South?
- What group does the author claim is “perhaps the most successful social movement of the past century”?
- Jenkins, “The Christian Revolution” (L&B 429-36)
- Globalized Christianity